NEW YORK ATTORNEYS REPRESENTING IN MANHATTAN, BROOKLYN, BRONX AND LONG ISLAND
At DeToffol & Associates, in New York City, we represent individuals and businesses in all matters relating to patent law:
We conduct domestic patent searches.
We provide consultation regarding patentability of inventions and rights to manufacture them.
We prosecute applications to obtain utility patents for new and useful inventions and to obtain design patents for new and ornamental designs.
Litigate enforce and license patent rights
Our firm is led by lawyer David DeToffol, a United States patent attorney. With us you will understand the patent process, and avoid being taken by expectations others may promise, or the patent system can’t deliver. Our experience is, you will have a better chance of success and be satisfied with professional help that has your interest in mind.
Contact us to arrange a consultation with an experienced New York patent lawyer.
WHAT IS A PATENT?
A patent is an intellectual property right to have the monopoly and exclusive right to manufacture, import, use, sell or offer for sale the patented technology, during a limited time period within a country. It is granted by a country’s government. Others that make, use or offer for sale, or sell the same or an equivalent thing are considered to infringe the patent.
Patent rights make it illegal for anyone except the owner or someone with the owner’s permission to make, use, import or sell the invention in the country where the patent was granted. Patents protect the features and processes that make things work. This lets inventors profit from their inventions. Patents generally cover products or processes that contain “new” functional or technical aspects.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PATENTS
- Be realistic and aware of the types of patents available and what they protect: There are three types of patents — utility patent, plant patent and design patent. It is important to distinguish between these three types of patents, and avoid the wrong type of patent protection.
- Know what you are getting for your money.Be on guard against large, up-ront fees charged by developers and law firms. Ask how much will go towards marketing, patent filing and preparation fees.
- Protect your innovation, invention, creation and rights.DO NOT disclose your matters to others, including developers or law firms without first signing a confidentiality agreement.You could forfeit valuable rights by publicly disclosing the details of your claim or invention before filing a patent application, or by delaying in taking action within strict deadline time periods.
- Don’t get discouraged.Patent litigation and the patent process can be very complicated. We are here when you need a reputable patent agent and attorney to help you through the process and fulfill legal, scientific and technical requirements.
- Patents are territorial to each country.The scope of protection may vary from country to country. The Paris Convention exists toward the international protection of industrial property (patents, industrial designs, etc).
Patent infringement is only possible in a country where a patent is in force. For example, if a patent is filed in the United States, then anyone in the United States is prohibited from making, using, selling or importing the patented item. People in other countries may be free to make the patented item in their country.
To continue that example, action can be taken against those innovations if they were to be made, used, offered for sale or sold in the United States. Patent protection can also be enforced at our borders by U.S. Customs and Border Protection by formal legal action we can bring in the United States International Trade Commission.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Please call our experienced attorneys in our New York City office at (212) 962−2220 to discuss your patent case. You may also send us an e-mail At DeToffol & Associates, we work hard to protect your intellectual property interests.